BG vs other mid-major teams

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: BG vs other mid-major teams

Postby guest44 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Flipper wrote:We didn't have that coach in place...we had an out of control drunk who flamed out. Thankfully, he didn't completely bury the program in the process.

Yet the BGSU AD had from the day he was hired roughly a year, to find the next basketball coach, and this is who he hired.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 pm

And neither are here any longer sooooooo........
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby guest44 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:01 pm

The thread is BG vs. other mid-major teams. BG is not like other mid major programs not because of hockey, or swimming, or lawn darts. It won't be like other programs because even when given generous resources to attempt to be like others, it gets totally botched. Now those resources are being spent on the climb to .500. That's all.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

The biggest reason, IMO, that BG hoops has fallen so far is an unwillingness to move on from poor coaching hires. Compounded by doubling down on stupid giving a long extension to one of those bad hires after a mediocre 2nd season, and then again unwilling to move on from it.

It's bad enough the damage that a poor head coach decision can do to your program. We compounded it over and over again by not firing those guys. Dakich was at LEAST a couple years too long, and Orr needed canned at least 2 years before he finally left as well. Then, when we finally DID move on from those coaches we didn't ever actually fire them, instead we let their contracts run out which makes the issue even worse for their eventual successor(s) because of the lame duck, "you've got no shot of landing a worthwhile recruit" season.

I am so jaded towards MAC football, I do think if we limited the cash we funnel into that product (BG alone cannot do it, needs to be a conference directive, IMO) I think we could greatly improve MAC hoops. But that is not the primary reason why BG has been bad. With the Frack endowment, especially, we have the money to buy out and move on from poor coaching hires. I hope that we finally show a willingness to make that move. I know it sucks to pay coaches not to coach, but sometimes it's necessary. Right now I think we need stability. The disaster didn't happen in a couple years, and it's going to take awhile to fix it. Ultimately, I don't know if Huger is the guy that can do that, but I do think he's a quality choice for some stability to build the program up to where it is READY to jump up to where we need it. Next year we will be very young, so I don't know if we can win, but we better show some growth in Huger's returning guys, and I'm hopeful at least 2-3 of the newcomers can look like legit MAC players. It may not manifest in wins given that our rotation will be almost entirely FR & SO, but the signs for the future should be evident by the end of next season.

If we're not legitimately making a run in the MAC tourney by the '18-19 season I would probably look to move on and bring in some new coaching blood. At the very least I think that new coach would come into a better place than Orr, Jans, or Huger inherited. And with the Frack money we should easily be able to make that move and also target quality candidates.

Right now I'm still trying to be optimistic. This upcoming class will be Huger's first real full recruiting class, and he won't be dealing with any inherited players any longer (at least not any that he would be relying on). We should definitely start to know next year whether or not this thing is trending in the right direction. Unfortunately, I think 2 years of "foundation building" weren't the worst thing imaginable, even though he could have accelerated that clock by bringing in some JuCo/Grad-transfer talent.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 pm

I want a couple of questions answered and that is concerning the Frack money. Who controls it? The A.D., the head coach or some combination decision? What is the money actually funding. Home games, Frack Invite, travel costs, Italy trip, coaching salary, uniforms?

I'm not sure what $600,000 a year, if I'm correct on the annual income of this endowment, is actually accomplishing but I feel that everybody has a different idea of how this money is working for the program.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 pm

FalconTurf wrote:I want a couple of questions answered and that is concerning the Frack money. Who controls it? The A.D., the head coach or some combination decision? What is the money actually funding. Home games, Frack Invite, travel costs, Italy trip, coaching salary, uniforms?

I'm not sure what $600,000 a year, if I'm correct on the annual income of this endowment, is actually accomplishing but I feel that everybody has a different idea of how this money is working for the program.

Findlay-Hancock County Community Foundation controls the funds and distributes the proceeds to BGSU and to organizations involved in the fight against homelessness and domestic violence. Three-quarters of the annual distributions from the series of existing trusts goes to the BGSU's men's basketball program. Once BGSU receives its distribution, the Athletic Director or his designee is responsible for allocating the funds to the men's basketball program. It is estimated that the endowment will generate about $675,000 annually for the men's basketball program in perpetuity.

The money is being used for a variety of uses besides recruiting and coaches' salaries.

“We need more money for recruiting, and for getting better games,” he said. “The coaches have been operating with one hand tied behind their backs.

“Hopefully, this will correct that. It won't be overnight, but I think the university will get there. If Butler can do it, if Gonzaga can do it — if they can do it — then by gosh, Bowling Green can do it.”

--Bill Frack
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote: Once BGSU receives its distribution, the Athletic Director or his designee is responsible for allocating the funds to the men's basketball program. It is estimated that the endowment will generate about $675,000 annually for the men's basketball program in perpetuity.

The money is being used for a variety of uses besides recruiting and coaches' salaries.

So the AD allocates the funds to the men's basketball program. Who decides what it is spent on? The coach?
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 pm

FalconTurf wrote:So the AD allocates the funds to the men's basketball program. Who decides what it is spent on? The coach?

I'd say the Head Coach is primarily responsible for how his budget money is spent with oversight by the AD and his senior staff.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 am

The whole public drunk thing seems big in Wichita....

http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outle ... um=twitter
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby guest44 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 am

So much so you would have thought Chris Kingston could have done some research on that program. He had an entire basketball season to do so. Kingston can't use a lack of cellphone as an excuse for being oblivious to it. He spent most of every game on one.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby CrazyFan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 am

Flipper wrote:The whole public drunk thing seems big in Wichita....

See……..this Drew Franklin guy got it all wrong. He should have consulted the TMZ Tillers before he did anything with this video. They could have walked him through the steps on what to do properly in that situation:
1.) After he had filmed Marshall’s wife without her knowledge, he should have had a stuck up, snotty family member walk up to her and explain to her that he had been secretly filming her and what she was doing is totally unacceptable
2.) Draft a 3am email to the Wichita State AD while he was drunk himself
3.) In that email, threaten the Wichita State AD that if he doesn’t meet his demands (whatever they might be) and does not take action that he will release the video and information to the public.
4.) Act like the hero in the entire situation when you’re actually just a rat.

Amateurs these days……… :roll:
CrazyFan
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby guest44 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 am

CrazyFan wrote:
Flipper wrote:The whole public drunk thing seems big in Wichita....

See……..this Drew Franklin guy got it all wrong. He should have consulted the TMZ Tillers before he did anything with this video. They could have walked him through the steps on what to do properly in that situation:
1.) After he had filmed Marshall’s wife without her knowledge, he should have had a stuck up, snotty family member walk up to her and explain to her that he had been secretly filming her and what she was doing is totally unacceptable
2.) Draft a 3am email to the Wichita State AD while he was drunk himself
3.) In that email, threaten the Wichita State AD that if he doesn’t meet his demands (whatever they might be) and does not take action that he will release the video and information to the public.
4.) Act like the hero in the entire situation when you’re actually just a rat.

Amateurs these days……… :roll:

Crazy Fan you forgot some important steps. First, one must have a false sense of the talent level of your own kids. Despite no other D1 schools wanting to offer the kids scholarships, BG becomes the grudge because they owe you as a alumni. Second, you must name drop a mediocre former coach, that is extended family of yours. Both the kids talent, and one's last name, become much more inflated at 3am, after a night in the BG bars.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I would hope Wichita doesn't have coaching staff family's travel home with the team. That would set a standard for the team if they didn't already notice her at the game.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Flipper wrote:
guest44 wrote:BG had the coach, and the money, to get as close to attempting to establish a top level basketball program as Bowling Green could. It ended drunk, in a cellphone video taken by BGSU alumni.

You should be thanking that BG alum who took the video. Jan's was a major disaster waiting to happen. We got off lucky with a butt grab in a bar. Would you be happier if he had a year or two more and then got behind the wheel and killed someone...or maybe he grabs more than a butt and gets charged criminally (FWIW..guys have been charged for grabbing butts).

How much danger were you willing to put BG as a whole in to keep that drunk around?

Flip, never the prude, I'm normally pretty loose on these kind of issues, but I gotta agree with ya here. Someone once used the phrase "dangerous ego" to perfectly describe the existing and potential problem. I struggle to think of any frame of mind I've ever been in (even in my drunken, woman chasing days at BG), when I would have put my hand behind some woman's head and made bj motions. There's an indicator of a sociopathic lack of respect for people in general.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 am

Flipper wrote:We didn't have that coach in place...we had an out of control drunk who flamed out. Thankfully, he didn't completely bury the program in the process.

Jans couldn't bury the program...Louis Orr beat him to the punch. ;)
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops