Baseball team

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Baseball team

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Last in team batting average in the MAC currently, last in fielding % currently coupled with finishing last season at the bottom in both categories. Whats it going to take to get the team going?
baseball
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby Clubber » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Solid username....I'm changing mine to "golf"
Clubber
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby factman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:09 am

baseball wrote:Last in team batting average in the MAC currently, last in fielding % currently coupled with finishing last season at the bottom in both categories. Whats it going to take to get the team going?



Being fully funded with scholarships! It is my understanding they are STILL about two scholarships under the 11.7 allowed, and that amounts to 4-6 players in baseball. It is time for the university and athletic department to fully fund (scholarships) of any sport we sponsor. Sort of like having a chemistry department without labs! :oops:
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4108
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Baseball team

Postby Clubber » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Nah...BG's way of doing things is working out great. Dont they come out with some type of MAC Athletic Department standings? I'd hate to see where we've finished since Greg Christopher was hired 10 years ago.
Clubber
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Losing to Ball State today 16-1 ! Pretty pathetic IMO. Sounds like some of early season losses giving up double figure hits and runs.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
User avatar
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Seven Hills, Ohio 44131

Re: Baseball team

Postby guest44 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 pm

According to the Twitter accounts of Athletics and its' people, they are crushing it in everything. #TALONSUP
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:05 pm

I mean, swept at Ball St. Not even close games. How long until some changes are implemented.
baseball
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby threestooges » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 am

guest44 wrote:According to the Twitter accounts of Athletics and its' people, they are crushing it in everything. #TALONSUP


Give it up. We get it already.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby Falconfreak90 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm

factman wrote:
baseball wrote:Last in team batting average in the MAC currently, last in fielding % currently coupled with finishing last season at the bottom in both categories. Whats it going to take to get the team going?



Being fully funded with scholarships! It is my understanding they are STILL about two scholarships under the 11.7 allowed, and that amounts to 4-6 players in baseball. It is time for the university and athletic department to fully fund (scholarships) of any sport we sponsor. Sort of like having a chemistry department without labs! :oops:


Factman is dead on right.
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
User avatar
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon
 
Posts: 17342
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:28 am
Location: Green, OH

Re: Baseball team

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Even if they had a "fully funded" 11.7 scholarships let alone a full 35 scholarships, everyother team would still have the same opportunity so its all relative. Now if they are not 11.7 fully funded and maybe have 9 scholarships, to have those extra couple would help but its hard to recruit with performances like they are having. The team needs hitting help immensely. They are the 287th ranked team out of 295 D1 baseball programs in batting average. They are 285th in # of hits. Only 11 worse teams in runs scored. They are 279th in scoring. They dont steal enough, there are only 6 teams in the country with less stolen bases. Change of the guard needs to happen or they will end up like Buffalo or Akron in getting rid of the program altogether.
baseball
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby Clubber » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 pm

baseball wrote:Even if they had a "fully funded" 11.7 scholarships let alone a full 35 scholarships, everyother team would still have the same opportunity so its all relative. Now if they are not 11.7 fully funded and maybe have 9 scholarships, to have those extra couple would help but its hard to recruit with performances like they are having. The team needs hitting help immensely. They are the 287th ranked team out of 295 D1 baseball programs in batting average. They are 285th in # of hits. Only 11 worse teams in runs scored. They are 279th in scoring. They dont steal enough, there are only 6 teams in the country with less stolen bases. Change of the guard needs to happen or they will end up like Buffalo or Akron in getting rid of the program altogether.


If you are recommending firing Danny Schmitz then your complaints have no merit. The guy has won a bunch of titles, runs a clean program, and represents BG with class. If his program was supported the way he deserves they'd be just as good if not better than Kent. They have at least 2 scholarships less than everyone else in the MAC. My guess is you are a parent whose kid isn't playing.
Clubber
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 am

Not a parent but can see why you would think that. They need hitting instructions, be it mental or physical assistance. I understand the guy who is the hitting coach played for him and was a great hitter but that DOES NOT mean you can teach it. As far as Schmitz, if you think a 50% win rate is sufficient then I guess he will stay. In 26 yrs he has only won the MAC season 4 times. If I performed at a 50% rate in my job, dont think I would be around very long.
baseball
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby Clubber » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:01 am

I've got no clue on the hitting coach. Obviously they aren't hitting very well.
Since you made me look it up: BG has won at least a piece of the MAC Title (Regular Season, Division or Tournament) in 1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013.

I believe the scholarship reductions started before the 2010 season. I don't have the answer, but that is the issue. Support the programs or eliminate them.
Clubber
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Baseball team

Postby factman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 am

You migh also want to check the overall budget for baseball compared to other schools in the conference. This would include salaries, travel, recruiting, equipment etc and you will find we are quite low, if not one of the lowest in the MAC, Not to mention facilities.
Coach Schmitz is not only a great baseball coach, but has raised a LOT of the money for asst coaches salaries. Locker room, team travel (spring trip), new uniforms, etc, with little help from the university.. Check out Kent States baseball budget, in comparison!
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4108
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: Baseball team

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Falcons got some good news today as they knocked off 1st place CMU 3-2. Good win against solid opponent.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
User avatar
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3898
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Seven Hills, Ohio 44131

Next

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest