Gymnastics finishes SECOND

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Gymnastics finishes SECOND

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:49 pm

You can read details on BGSU FALCONS.COM., but BG did very well, nosed out by EMU (. (defending champs).

Bg has the freshman of year and several highest scores of season. CONGRATS ladies!
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Gymnastics finishes SECOND

Postby Flipper » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Awesome coach by coach Turner and her athletes...best team on campus this year..
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

If you were not in the stands on Saturday afternoon you missed the best conference championship meet in the last 18 years! This is the third meet BG has hosted that I have been fortunate to serve as Meet Director. I do not remember scores this close. Going into the final rotation there were four of the seven teams with a chance to win. Those four (Eastern 196.500, BG 196.400, Central 196.100, Western 196.075) teams squeezed into a .425 spread.

BG's 196.400 is the second highest score for the team (196.500 is the school record) and this was the teams best finish at the conference meet in 30 years. BG had two included in a six way tie for second place on Vault (Feeley and East). The Falcons took second place on Balance Beam (McPeak). BG also placed in a tie for first and sole possession of third place on Floor (Rose and East). 2016 fans watched the meet and I swear 500 of them were in Orange and Brown. The atmosphere was electric.

Jovannah East won Freshman of the Year, a title BGSU has claimed three times in the last six years and five times overall. The Falcons also placed four on the All-Tournament Team (Feeley, East, McPeak, Rose).

I have been critical of the department's commitment of gymnastics at times, but not here. Everyone from operations, sports information, Stroh Center, administration, and other areas pulled together and make this a conference meet others will try and emulate in the future. We truly set the bar.

As of today, Lauren Feeley (Vault) and Jovannah East (Vault, Beam) will travel to Champaign, Illinois to compete in Regionals on April 1st. Should the opportunity arise, Kayla Rose is the alternate on Floor. The teams that were placed in this regional were #5 UCLA (197.500), #8 Oregon State (197.115), #17 Iowa (196.510), Illinois (196.365)' Eastern Michigan (195.970), and Ohio State (195.825). Jovannah and Lauren will rotate with one of those six teams.

This season was a struggle with consistency, especially on bars. But this team did not let those struggles define them. They went into MAC's and defined their season. Like Flipper said, and many will disagree, but this is the best team on campus. If you didn't make it out to a meet, which were free, you missed out.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Channeling my inner-Mike Cihon, I am going to say that Jovannah East WILL BE a MAC All-Around Champion before she graduates.

And to think that we only had to count ONE fall on the balance beam all season! Out of 13 meets!

This was also my third MAC Championship. What an amazing day the ladies had on Saturday. Proud of each of them.

Please join us at venerable Anderson Arena next year for our home meets. These ladies are truly something else!
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Other Sports